Last edited by Faum
Sunday, October 11, 2020 | History

2 edition of three hamlets of Woodford cum Membris. found in the catalog.

three hamlets of Woodford cum Membris.

J. W. Anscomb

three hamlets of Woodford cum Membris.

by J. W. Anscomb

  • 368 Want to read
  • 3 Currently reading

Published by The Author in Woodford Halse .
Written in English


ID Numbers
Open LibraryOL19952172M

If you want to help ensure that Woodford continues to have a local GP practice you need to support the application. Woodford cum Membris Parish Council has already voted unanimously to do so. The most effective way to show your support for this is by writing to the Daventry District Council planning department as advised in this letter. Colson Coat of Arms, Family Crest and Name.

Consultation on the Woodford cum Membris NDP • Questionnaire1 • Delivered to all households, responses • First Informal Consultation2 • Placed on web site and published in WOW • Regulation 14 Consultation3 • September-November A comprehensive set of neighbourhood planning pages on the Woodford Halse Village Signpost web. This parish is sometimes called Woodford-Halse, from the manor of Halse, of which it is a member, and Woodford cum membris, from the two attached hamlets. It comprises a. 3 r. 33 p., whereof about acres are in Woodford proper, which was inclosed in ; acres in Farndon, inclosed in ; and about in Hinton.

Woodford Halse railway station stood on the Great Central Railway (GCR) main line, the last main line to be built from the north of England to London. The station opened with the line on 15 March under the name Woodford and Hinton and served the adjacent villages of Woodford Halse to the east and Hinton to the west, both in Northamptonshire. Hinton is a village about miles ( km) south of Daventry in village is the largest settlement in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris, the others being the village of Woodford Halse and hamlet of West Farndon.


Share this book
You might also like
Reports, papers, and proceedings.

Reports, papers, and proceedings.

Fisher Bookbinding Co. Ltd..

Fisher Bookbinding Co. Ltd..

Animal-animal & social-animal

Animal-animal & social-animal

Mathematics: Exploring Your World

Mathematics: Exploring Your World

They shall not pass

They shall not pass

Exposing and conquering satanic forces over Kenya

Exposing and conquering satanic forces over Kenya

Modelling Nonlinearities in the German Stock Market

Modelling Nonlinearities in the German Stock Market

The Thirteen American Arguments

The Thirteen American Arguments

Each orange had eight slices (Math series)

Each orange had eight slices (Math series)

Alien Americans

Alien Americans

Joseph Mallord William Turner, R.A. (1775-1851)

Joseph Mallord William Turner, R.A. (1775-1851)

U.S. air carrier accident directory, 1959-1965.

U.S. air carrier accident directory, 1959-1965.

A century of Poetry review

A century of Poetry review

The orbits of three K-type spectroscopic binaries

The orbits of three K-type spectroscopic binaries

financial analysis concerning conventional crude oil and natural gas exploration, development, and production activities in the United States, 1959-1988

financial analysis concerning conventional crude oil and natural gas exploration, development, and production activities in the United States, 1959-1988

Käthe Kollwitz

Käthe Kollwitz

The Taliban dont wave

The Taliban dont wave

Three hamlets of Woodford cum Membris by J. W. Anscomb Download PDF EPUB FB2

Until the coming of the railway in the late 19 th century three hamlets made up the civil Parish of Woodford-cum-Membris, namely Woodford Halse, Hinton and West Farndon. The Parish was typical of many in rural England. Its history was bound up in the land, its tenure and husbandry.

Although the latter is now only a hamlet of some eight dwellings, the earthwork remains around it suggest that it was once much larger. To the S. of Woodford village is a flight of strip lynchets (3), a feature of medieval cultivation rare in Northamptonshire.

Fig. Woodford-Cum-Membris (2) Settlement remains at West Farndon. Prehistoric and. It was the fact that the three settlements all shared one priest, one burial ground and one church (at Woodford) that gave rise to the name of the parish as Woodford-cum-Membris meaning “Woodford and its members” (the settlements of Hinton and West Farndon).

In the three hamlets comprising the civil and ecclesiastical parish of Woodford cum Membris, had a population of and by a population ofin over The building of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway through the Parish and the establishment of a depot here, with a station for passenger traffic and a.

WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS HINTON ROAD SP (West side) Hinton 17/ No (The Homestead) 18/09/53 (Formerly listed as The Homestead) GV II House. C Course squared ironstone, tile roof, brick and stone end stacks.

WOODFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7½ miles (S. W.) from Daventry.

This parish is sometimes called Woodford-Halse, from the manor of Halse, of which it is a member, and Woodford cum membris, from the two attached hamlets. WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS WEST FARNDON SP55SW 9/ The Mill House - II House, formerly corn mill and mill house.

Dated with C18 and C19 additions. Coursed squared ironstone, tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range with 3-window C19 range to left. WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS WEST FARNDON SP55SW 9/ Cross Tree Farmhouse - II Farmhouse.

Datedback range possibly late C Ironstone ashlar, tile roof, brick end stack. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS SCHOOL LANE SP (South side) Woodford Halse 18/ Folly Farmhouse GV II House, formerly farmhouse.

Late C Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof, brick ridge and end stacks on stone bases. 2-unit lobby-entry plan. 3 storeys; 2-window range. 3-light C20 casements to ground, first and second floors, all with timber lintels.

Woodford Halse is a village about miles ( km) south of Daventry in is in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris, which includes also village of Hinton and hamlet of West and Woodford Halse are separated by the infant River Cherwell and the former course of the Great Central Main Line railway.

The parish church is believed to have been built in the 12 th century, but there is reason to believe that an earlier church was in existence, as when the present church was renovated in the foundations of an earlier building were found on the south aisle, the foundations running parallel to the present walls.

It was recorded in the Vestry Minute Book inthat during the excavations. West Farndon is a hamlet and deserted medieval village about 3 ⁄ 4 mile ( km) southwest of Hinton, Northamptonshire, in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris.

Archaeology and history. Sherds of second- and third-century Roman pottery have been found west of the present hamlet, indicating the site of a Roman settlement. The Domesday Book of records two small manors at West Farndon. WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS WOODFORD HALSE SP 18/ Church of St.

Mary the Virgin 18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV II* Church. CC15, restored when the tower was rebuilt and enlarged and a new vestry and organ chamber added.

Woodford Halse is a village and ancient parish in Northamptonshire, about 6½ miles south of is in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris (where the population is included), which includes also village of Hinton and hamlet of West and Woodford Halse are separated by the infant River Cherwell and the former course of the Great Central Main Line railway.

Membris Way: From the name of the parish “Woodford-cum-Membris” The “cum Membris” means in Latin “with members”- the other parts of the parish, i.e. Hinton and West Farndon. Mount Pleasant: A terrace of nine cottages and one detached house accessed from Leys Road.

The charming village of Woodford Halse is located in the civil parish of Woodford-cum- Membris, which also includes the hamlet of West Farndon and village of Hinton.

Conveniently positioned midway between the popular market towns of Banbury and Daventry, this beautiful rural retreat offers the best of both worlds by providing a country escape. Woodford Halse trip planner Create a fully customized day-by-day itinerary for free.

Itinerary Planner + Add destination. 2 adults. Adults-+ Teens-+ Kids-+ Close. Activities preferences (optional) Popular.

Balanced. Hidden gems. Slow & easy. Medium. Fast-paced. Culture. Outdoors. Relaxing. Romantic. Beaches. Historic sites. Museums. Get this from a library. An act for dividing and inclosing the common, open, and arable, fields, meadows, and waste grounds, in the hamlet of Hinton, in the parish of Woodford cum Membris, in the county of Northampton.

[Great Britain. Parliament.]. Woodford Halse is a village about miles ( km) south of Daventry in Northamptonshire. It is in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris, which includes also village of Hinton and hamlet of West Farndon. Hinton and Woodford Halse are separated by the infant River Cherwell and the former course of the Great Central Main Line railway.

Churches. Pages An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 3, Archaeological Sites in North-West Northamptonshire. Woodford cum Membris Parish Hinton is a village about six and a half miles south of Daventry, in Northamptonshire.

It is immediately beside and almost attached to its smaller parent village, Woodford Halse, which sits on the east side of Hinton, separated by a narrow belt of woodland.

In the three hamlets comprising the civil and ecclesiastical parish of Woodford cum Membris, had a population of and by a population of, in over The Grand Central Hotel Belfast is the latest hotel by Hasting Hotel and is located in the heart of Belfast city centre. Book your stay directly on our official website for the best price online!Woodford Halse is a village about miles ( km) south of Daventry in Northamptonshire.

It is in the civil parish of Woodford cum Membris, which includes also village of Hinton and hamlet of West Farndon. Hinton and Woodford Halse are separated by the infant River Cherwell and the former course of the Great Central Main Line railway.